In this episode of the mentoring Minute we speak with four expert youth in care mentoring practitioners:
- Jenni Carrier – Big Brother Big Sisters of Calgary
- Brianna Berthaume – Youth and Volunteer Centre Red Deer
- Krista Allan – Boys and Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters of Edmonton
- Joey Shaughnessy – Boys and Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters of Edmonton
There are more than 8000 children and youth in care in Alberta. While research on the impact of mentoring for this population is at an early stage, studies have shown that healthy relationships created through formal mentoring programs can positively impact social, emotional, and academic functioning for children and youth in care.
– Government of Alberta (November, 2013). Child intervention statistics – 2008/9 to 2012/13
AMP, its Children and Youth in Care Mentoring Pilot Program and its agency partners also make mentorship a success. These agencies include:
- Boys and Girls Clubs and Big Brothers Big Sisters of Edmonton and Area
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Calgary and Area
- Red Deer Youth and Volunteer Centre
Do you know a youth or youth in care who could benefit from mentorship? Or, do you want to become a mentor? If so, contact the Alberta Mentoring Partnership for more information.
Important Topics Covered on Youth in Care:
- 1:35 – How are Youth in Care Defined?
- 1:54 – Why is Mentoring Important for Youth in Care?
- 2:09 – How Does Mentoring Help Youth in Care?
- 2:51 – What is the Length of a Youth in Care Mentoring Relationship?
- 3:26 – What Makes an Effective Youth in Care Mentor?
- 4:19 – What Sort of Individual Background Makes an Effective Youth in Care Mentor?
- 4:52 – What is the Impact of Mentoring on Young People’s Success
- 6:00 – What are Some Stories From the Youth in Care Mentoring Field?
- 7:51 – How can you Become a Youth in Care Mentor?
- 9:00 – Where Should the Youth in Care Pilot Programs in Alberta go From Here?
- Become a Partner of the Alberta Mentoring Partnership: https://albertamentors.ca/partner
- AMP YouTube Channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1jzKjk121I6JjmvwOpPQow
- Register now for the National Mentoring Symposium.: nmsevent.ca
- Visit Alberta Mentoring Partnership – https://albertamentors.ca
1) How to Subscribe (and leave us a review!)
2) How to listen at your computer:
Learn more at albertamentors.ca
Background Music: www.bensound.com