Supporting our volunteers to effectively mentor the young people in your program begins with an initial and on-going training. To support organizations and community collaboratives to provide quality, standardized training, AMP has developed an online training program for mentors and mentees. It is essential that your mentors and mentees participate in these trainings before they are matched or your program begins. Additional in-person and/or program specific training may be required. These trainings provide a foundation of knowledge that can be built upon by your program staff.
Other Mentorship Training Tools
Further to the AMP online mentor / mentee training are several other useful training tools that can be found below. You can use the Teen Mentor Training Event Toolkit to host your very own teen mentor training event using the included in the toolkits 7-step framework. Also included is a Guide for Training New Mentors and the Building Relationships Guide for New Mentors.
Online Mentor Training
The course introduces mentors to the core concepts of mentoring and what it means to be a mentor. The program includes 5 modules and a quiz to test understanding:
- Course Introduction and Learning Objectives
- History of Mentoring
- How To Be a Mentor
- The Mentoring Relationship – Dynamics and Guidelines
- Mentoring Programs
To access the Alberta Mentoring Partnership’s online ‘Orientation for Mentors” course please contact us. If you are a partner with us, we can add your organization or school to the list of available organizations to have Mentors / Mentees sign-up to train under – this includes the capability for your organization to view user reports for your volunteers.
Online Mentee Trainining
The Alberta Mentorship Partnership has worked with mentees, mentors and parents to develop a short orientation to your mentorship experience – for both kids and parents. The course, which can be used in group, school and one-on-one settings, provides an overview of some of the core concepts of being a mentee, including:
- What is a Mentor? What is a Mentee?
- Getting to Know your Mentor
- Let’s Be Safe and have Good Boundaries
- My Strengths
- All About me
Note: For Mentoring Organizations signing up a large group of participants:
- Mentoring organizations may send the first and last names of each participant to AMP prior to your training session and an account will be created for each mentee.
- If your organization is not already included in the list of available organizations contact us and ask to be added to the list.
- Prompt your mentee groups to sign up under your organization name – you may then track each mentees progress by logging in under your admin account, entering the Orientation for Mentees course and clicking on the user report.
To access the Alberta Mentoring Partnership’s online ‘Orientation for Mentees” course please contact us. If you are a partner with us, we can add your organization or school to the list of available organizations to have Mentors / Mentees sign-up to train under – this includes the capability for your organization to view user reports for your volunteers.
Other Mentorship Training Tools
Download: Guide (external) | Training New Mentors