Start 2020 by changing a young person’s life. Become a mentor.
What is Mentoring Month?
The Alberta Mentoring Partnership presents #MentoringMonth in January 2020 to celebrate and raise awareness of mentoring across the province of Alberta. Get involved by becoming a caring mentor to a child in need, learning about mentoring resources and training, and growing mentoring programs across Alberta.
Mentoring is a powerful way of lending support to a young person by teaching skills, listening to their perspectives and creating a sense of belonging. Spending time with a young person may seem simple, but science tells us that healthy interactions with supportive adults can boost children’s brain development, mental health, and well-being. Learn more.
It doesn’t take any special skills to be a mentor. If you find yourself reading this, you already have what it takes: an interest in making a difference in the life of a child. Whether you want to volunteer once a week or once a month, there are many mentoring opportunities that fit your schedule.
Mentoring Month Events
Theme: #ThankYourMentor and Celebration!
- During this week, take the time to #ThankYourMentor and encourage others to do the same.
- January 31st, 2020: This day concludes the #ThankYourMentor campaign! Anyone with real life mentoring experiences can thank those who helped them on their path to adulthood and beyond.
Mentoring organizations are looking for mentors just like you.
Get Started Now!
Individuals Interested in Mentoring - Start Mentoring Today!
Get mentoring in your local community today. Fill in the form below and you will send a message right away to the selected local mentoring partner.
View all of the #MentoringMonth mentoring partners below. Fill in the Start Mentoring form to show your interest in mentoring with any of these amazing organizations!
Why is Mentoring Important?
Mentoring is a powerful way of lending support to a young person by teaching skills, listening to their perspectives and creating a sense of belonging.
Research tells us that children need a positive adult influence (like a mentor) in their lives. Children who engage with adults in developmentally supportive ways are:
- more likely to achieve high academic performance
- more likely to participate in extracurricular school activities
- less likely to have behaviour problems in school
- less likely to be bullied or victimized
Alberta’s success depends on all of our contributions to the well-being of children. Spending as little as an hour a week with a young person can make a difference to them and to Alberta’s future.
What are the Perks of Mentoring?
The entire province benefits from mentors’ involvement in the community and with our children.
- Play an important role in helping tomorrow’s leaders to be better citizens.
- Make your community a better place. Everyone benefits from a stronger Alberta, and your commitment will be your legacy.
- Share life lessons and feel good about giving back and making a meaningful difference in the life of a young person.
- Network with like-minded caring adults. Share experiences, resources, tools and advice with fellow mentors.
- Add a meaningful experience to your life. Broaden your horizons outside of your work.
- Enhance your work and personal life with transferable skills like better communication, organization, leadership, and problem solving.
Have a #MentoringMonth story you'd like to share? Let us know!
Want to learn more about mentoring and receive AMP updates?
Subscribe to our MentoringMinute newsletter!
Follow @AlbertaMentors to share your stories and keep up with the latest news.