Town of Canmore FCSS
What is FCSS?
Canmore Family and Community Support Services (FCSS) is a cost sharing program between the Province of Alberta (80%) and Town of Canmore (20%) to provide preventive social programs in our community. Local autonomy is a cornerstone of the FCSS philosophy that allows local programs to develop services that meet unique needs of individual communities.
What are Preventive Social Programs?
Preventive social programs are activities that use proactive strength-based and intentional strategies to help individuals families and communities develop skills required to form a strong sense of self resulting in the ability to build healthy relationships with others.
What Services does Canmore FCSS offer?
As the needs of the community continue to change FCSS services change to respond to those identified needs. A variety of services are offered in three main categories.
• Classroom presentations – FCSS provides options and responds to teachers requests for presentations at Elizabeth Rummel Lawrence Grassi Canmore Collegiate and Exshaw Schools. Presentations include but are not limited to: conflict resolution, relationships, bullying, friendship, suicide awareness and prevention, honesty telling/tattling and good touch/bad touch.
• Community courses/workshops – Babysitting Safety, Writing Personal Directives, Home Alone Safety, Board Development, Parenting After Separation
• Community Resource Directory – a complete listing of Bow Valley groups and organizations
• Rainbows–Delivered with support from other community agencies Rainbows is divorce and separation support for parents and children. The program involves 12 sessions the children receive group support at school and the parents attend evening sessions.
• Counselling – short term early intervention counselling for individual and families
• The Volunteer Driver Program – On a cost recovery basis this Banff, Canmore and MD of Big Horn partnership program provides transportation for seniors and persons with disabilities to medical appointments in Calgary or Banff. Others requiring rides for medical purposes will be accommodated as resources allow.
• Alberta Seniors Benefits – provide individual and group support to seniors so they are aware of all the Alberta Government supports available to them.
• Call Ins and Walk-Ins – FCSS is recognized as the key place to go in order to find out what support services are available and in supporting people to access them.
• Individual assessment – staff will spend an hour with people that are unsure what type of counselling or support they require so the best possible support or referral is made.
• Bow Valley Interagency – Co-facilitated by Banff and Canmore FCSS’s opportunities for non-profit and social organizations across the Bow Valley to identify social issues receive professional development and share various initiatives going on in the communities.
Start Mentoring with Town of Canmore FCSS
Unfortunately this Mentoring organization is not currently looking for Volunteer Mentors. Please try searching for another Mentoring Organization in your community